HANDY is a simple monk who serves Thai and American society. He live in the Thai monastery in Silver Spring, Maryland since 1992. He is Yoga and Meditation master, especially Theravadin tradition.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

A New Beginning


A New Beginning
I truly enjoyed being a novice in the monastery. When I had been there a year, we received a visitor who was to have a profound influence on my life. He was an old monk from a neighboring province coming to visit my teacher, or Achan. When the old monk met me he said, “This novice has a special gift. If he is well-trained he shall be a good monk.” I asked him how I could be a good monk as he said. His answer was to go with him to the forest where I could train my mind. The old monk felt this was a good opportunity for me. He felt it was much easier to teach those who are young, because their minds are pure and uncluttered. When people grow up there are many distractions to cloud their minds. A young boy’s mind is very clean, very soft, and easy to train. After my year’s education at the village monastery, I agreed to go with him to the forest. However, there was one thing that worried me, that really scared me. I told the old monk that I was afraid of ghosts.
He asked, ”Where are the ghosts?” “I don’t know,” I responded, ”but at night I’m very, very scared.” ”That’s because you’re afraid of the dark, not of ghosts.”

Stories
When I was a young boy my mother would tell ghost stories before I went to bed. Every night she would tell me ghost stories or folk beliefs. I liked to read and listen to them, but I was afraid when I was by myself. When my Achan asked me to stay with him in the monastery, I was especially afraid because the forest monastery was close to the cremation area. In Thailand 95 percent of the people are Buddhist, and in Buddhist tradition, when someone dies they are cremated at the cemetery. My Achan, or teacher, sent me to spend a night at the cremation spot nearby. Naturally, I was very frightened. The events of that night were influential in my life and practice.
Someone in the village had died and was to be cremated the night I was to stay there. Late that afternoon my teacher took me to the area and set up an umbrella and mosquito net for me to sit inside, next to the burning pile of wood. At about 4:00 p.m. the villagers put the body on the wood pyre and lit it. Afterward the remains would be returned to the family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mahessss said...

I want to make my tea cup empty
still it is full
I want to listen
Still i am watching
what about u...

Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Dr.Handy Inthisan said...

Our Goal Is True Happiness.

Buddhism is an education, not a religion. We do not worship the Buddha, we respect him as a teacher. His teachings enable us to escape from suffering and attain happiness.

What does Buddha mean? Buddha mean enlightenment/understanding. Complete under standing is when one realize the truth about life and the universe. It is when one is apart from all delusions.
Cultivation is practiced in our every day life. We should not see it as something unusual, it is simply changing ourselves for the better.
` To keep our mind in pure and at peace is like keeping a pond clean and undisturbed. When the water is clear and still, it can reflect the sky ,sun and trees just as they are ,without distortion. our mind is the same. When we are Polluted by greed, anger, ignorance and disturbed by discriminations and attachment, we distort our picture of reality and fail to see thing as they are. wrong perceptions of reality can prevent us from enjoying a clear and happy life.
We can learn to turn the light around, reflect upon ourselves and smooth our us is non-discriminatory. The garbage flower does not know it is fragrant. We must let our mind be at peace and without attachments, this is true happiness.



The Buddha’s teachings should be introduced as an education, not a religion. Using spiritual penetrations and psychic abilities to attract people to believe in Buddhism is not the proper teaching and only serves to mislead others.

We should not be afraid to see our fault and mistakes because only then can they be corrected. People who fail to see their own mistakes will not be able to change for the better.
A student of the Buddha does not just read Buddhist texts, but studies them to reach a deeper understanding of life and the universe and puts the teachings into practice in everyday life.

Friday, July 29, 2005 8:41:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home