HANDY is a simple monk who serves Thai and American society. He live in the Thai monastery in Silver Spring, Maryland since 1992. He is Yoga and Meditation master, especially Theravadin tradition.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Experience the real Dhamma


Dhamma
I thought, this is the Dhamma, the Buddha’s teaching. This is the supreme teaching because what the Buddha experienced at the time of his enlightenment were the very things I was experiencing. I thought I must have truly learned from the stories of Buddha and the Buddha’s life and philosophy. I understood what he meant by “mara,” or suffering, as the enemy inside; and Kilesas, or defilements, be they greed, hatred, delusion, fear, worry, attachment, craving, aversion and anger-- everything inside. When I faced my fear, Panna, or wisdom, arose.
As I thought about the dead body in front of me, I realized it was merely the combination of the four elements—earth, wind, water and fire. I also realized there is no soul nor mind in the dead body. It’s just like wood in the forest. As the fire burned and burned I saw that nothing is permanent. I thought, if everything is impermanent, then why am I afraid? I asked myself that question and I found that fear comes from the mind--from my mind. If I could stop my thinking, or my mind, then I could stop the fear. I simply closed my eyes so that I couldn’t see the dead form, to stop the form from controlling my eyes. When I heard something, I wouldn’t cling to the sound. I simply listened and let it go. I didn’t create any scary things in my mind. The sounds of birds and dogs were just sounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home