HANDY is a simple monk who serves Thai and American society. He live in the Thai monastery in Silver Spring, Maryland since 1992. He is Yoga and Meditation master, especially Theravadin tradition.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Dhamma Studies


Loving Kindness
As I accompanied my teacher, sometimes it would be necessary to stay in a cave or in the wild, often it was frightening. He told me there’s one thing I should know, that my only weapon to protect myself, my life, would be the Dhamma, the teaching--that is, compassion. He said,” before you go to bed, you must spread loving kindness to animals, to human beings, to every creature in the world. You must do this with your soft and firm mind. If you practice more your mind will be clean, clear, and calm. You will see everything as it really is that’s inside of you. You will spread loving kindness, and your compassionate mind will even find its way to the mind of animals. Wild animals will either go away or may choose to be your friend.”
I did as he taught and no harm came to me, nor was I threatened in any way. When I went into the forest and encountered an animal I would remain gentle and it would run away—or be my friend.

Conclusion
I was a forest novice for six years from the age fourteen. I returned to my village temple to continue with traditional education. However, I still visited my teacher three months out of the year, living in the forest, studying and practicing with him and until it was time to return to Bangkok to continue my studies at a Buddhist University there.
When I was twenty years old I was promoted to a higher ordination to be ordained a monk. Some of my friends had disrobed for three to seven days before entering the monkhood, however, I have never disrobed. After I got higher ordination as a monk, I spent my life in different temple to study Dhamma and the Pali language and did a lot of propagation works. Then, I went directly to the Mahachulalongkornrajavidhayalaya Buddhist University in Bangkok and studied for a B.A. in Education and Buddhist Studies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mahessss said...

I shall try to practice this before going to bed. very nice to spread in such a simple way.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Dr.Handy Inthisan said...

To keep our mind in pure and at peace is like keeping a pond clean and undisturbed. When the water is clear and still, it can reflect the sky ,sun and trees just as they are ,without distortion. our mind is the same. When we are Polluted by greed, anger, ignorance and disturbed by discriminations and attachment, we distort our picture of reality and fail to see thing as they are. wrong perceptions of reality can prevent us from enjoying a clear and happy life.

Friday, August 12, 2005 10:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home